- WMP 12 for Win 7 package takes about 200 MB compare with WMP10 for 12 MB.
- Easier configuration.
- Dont really need it, except PlayOn media server require it to proceeding.
1. Remove Media Components from Windows 7:
*A. In the Control Panel select Programs and Features.
*B. Turn windows features on or off.
*C. Uncheck "Media features"
*D. Hit the "OK" button.
3. Download and unpack WMP10 installer(using 7Z to unpack .exe file)
4. For each and every .INF file in the folder with unpacked files except for wmp10.inf, right click on the .INF file and select "Install". Ignore the error messages that this type of installation is not supported, installation failed and do NOT restart your computer.
5. Install wmp10.inf as mentioned above
6. Restart your computer
7.Disable Program Compatibility Assistant.
*A.Enter gpedit.msc (press Windows key + R and run it)
*B. Navigate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility. Then on the left side under "Setting" double click on "Turn off Compatibility Assistant".
*C. Click on "Enabled", then click the "Apply" button and the "OK" button.
*D. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
8.Run regedit and delete the "Installed Versions" in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ MediaPlayer \ Setup
(note: if no previous verion of WMP, there's no Installed versions)
restart in safe mode, go to c program files win media player and click on the wmplayer.exe
in will start the setup status, follow it through
restart in normal mode
Try to do everything in "safe mode" as administrator if you get compatibility problems
* Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected, not Repair Your Computer
* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
* When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would